Hey remember Christian Louboutin opened up his magical brain to Grazia and said that he didn't give a toss about his customers? You may recall that he told women to go jump if they found his platformed stilts uncomfortable. Renowned for his red lacquered soles and 120mm minimum platforms, Christian said to ladies complaining about the fall-out of fashion fetish-wear:
I really have not so much sympathy…High heels are pleasure with pain! If you can’t walk in them, don’t wear them.
He also went so far as to call out the sobbing-with-pain wearers of the klunk as liars, citing Prince's backing singers and Tina Turner who stand and dance on stage for three hours in them as evidence. How dare he bring The Nut Bush into this? Note that he didn't call out one of his biggest brand endorsers, Victoria Backham, who TMI-ed us into a dark place with details of her bunions. So Loubi launched a big fancy retropective exhibition of his 20 years making super gorgeous and sexy foot-ish wear at London's Design Museum. The theme of the show is cabaret showgirl with whom he started his career and the centrepiece is fabulous hologram of burlesque star Dita Von Teese. After the fall-out in the media of 'I don't give a shit about my customers'-gate, and with a huge event and accompanying line to promote, Christian has backpedaled, a touch. It turns out that he DOES care about his customers feet and you SHOULD wear them at all costs (financial and physical).
I am concerned with comfort. I know that it's important but I don't want to have this evoked in my design
Ah, so you do think about comfort but only if it doesn't interfere with how the shoe looks.
My work is not about comfort but in the engineering of the shoes there's something that makes them as comfortable as possible
'As possible'. Translation: 'You can wear them sitting down. Please go to my show.' In a cunning stab at warming himself to the public he tried to sidle up to Kate Middleton.
I think she’s a style icon. She’s doing so well.
Talk about lick-arsing. In fairness to Loubi, he could do with the royal seal of approval, but he ain't going to get it slagging women off, dubbing them liars and persistently engaging in freakshow cobbling. As for Kate, she's made a diversion from LK Bennett to Jimmy Choo of recent (one small step for woman, one giant step for Kate-kind). His comment is tainted with bitterness that she hasn't kissed his feet for having ideas and a pot of red paint. I adore much of Loubi's work. His fetish-showgirl-stripper creations are interesting to look at bChrisut, let's face it, hiddy on the foot. He has so much to offer in terms of sass and elegance without going any further down the 'pleasure is pain' route. I hope that his partnership with Dita will bear fruit of the sexy-fabulous kind. There's not an iota of chance that Von Teese would be seen dead in Victoria's nude platform peep-toes. As for Louboutin himself, I wonder about his ego and grip on reality. Who is to know if the Louboutin brand is at its peak? What goes up must come down, and I’m not just talking about the young ladies teetering on their €600-a-pop stilts. The lack of appreciation and sympathy for the customer leads one to wonder, do designers really understand women? It’s difficult to tell if Christian is just a hard-core artist, or if he feels a sense of entitlement to a customer base, without having to be gracious or respectful. I have applauded his work until now but am left with a bad taste in my mouth at his attitude. I am tempted to move my drooling over to Giuseppe Zanotti permanently and say of Christian, 'F*ck him'. That Rupert Bear blazer is adorable though. I might give him another chance but his cards are marked (Christian, not Rupert).

About Aisling O'Connor

Aisling is an Irish fashion, pop culture and lifestyle writer whose work can be seen in Harpers Bazaar, The Atlantic, The Daily Mail and The Independent's Irish edition and many others. With a unique sartorial perspective, she strives to translate high fashion and street style into accessible looks - and savage often ridiculous celebrity stylings as a matter of public service.
This entry was posted in Fashion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to FASHION x ART: LOUBOUTIN BACKPEDALS FOR EXHIBITION, TAKING KATE MIDDLETON AND DITA VON TEESE FOR A RIDE

1. BOHOMOTH says:

I wouldn’t buy Louboutins at the moment. I’ve got two pairs that are so hideously uncomfortable that I couldn’t even wear them to a party in my own house. See also: YSL tributes.

I do like that he had a sneaky swipe at Chloe Green recently.

‘It has her name on the shoe. There’s nothing wrong with that. I wish her luck’ – ha. Code for they are HIDEOUS and i don’t see her as a threat.

2. LuxLisbon says:

He hates women. You want to be beautiful in my overpriced, poor fitting footwear? Shut-up and put-up bitch.

3. and this is why I “roll my own” … custom fit, can’t be beat!

4. Shana Davis says:

What a deeply unpleasant little cobbler.

5. Sassy says:

ugh i can’t imagine wearing those heels. I’m breaking in flats today and it feels like my upper foot is being cut in half- STRETCH dammit. You know in a month they’ll be falling off…..SIGH. but they’re a fierce leopard print ballerina flat so i’m sticking it out.

6. Mildred Fierce says:

oh yeah he told a funny story once about how a woman in Paris , a psychoanalyst, ( natch) comes into his shop by private appointment, only he can be there, and in silence she selects a pair of shoes then he has to carry them out to her car. Apparently the boot is full of his shoes, she has an actual pathological fetish for them. lol

7. diamondwhirl says:

LUBE-iton(isnt that what it takes to wear them comfortably?) needs to get off his Eiffel Tower of haughtiness

• Shana says:

As AbFab Eddy would say – You only work in a shop you know, you can drop the attitude.

• You crack me up.

Some one actually said that to me once. I was 17 and working in a bar in a financial district. It was crazy busy and I was collecting glasses and some snooty f*cker stopped me and said, ‘for f*ck sake smile, you’re only a f*cking waitress’.

I showed him! Now I laugh at people for a living.

8. Niamho says:

“Stupid public. Wh

9. Niamho says:

“Stupid public!
    Why won’t they like me?
    If only I could make them like me.
    Then I’d make them pay.”

10. You only had to look at Colleen and her Aintree posse. Not pleasant. Loubi would want to watch out cos his clientele have seriously downtown!!. Horrid little man.

11. BabyJane says:

In NYC, the bridge and tunnel crowd have done for Louboutins what Daniella Westbrook did for Burberry back in the day, so he can go f**k off frankly. The very name makes me think of shrieking Jersey girls tumbling over at 3am in the meatpacking district. I’ll stick to pillaging the Manolo sample sale with Andre Leon Tally bellowing at me in his K*nterfeld kaftan. Even the ones I mistakenly bought in not my size are comfy. *wobbles off in slightly too tight shoes with nose in the air*

12. Mildred Fierce says:

Destroying the cobbler on bomo LOVE